Keeping things organised and planning out how to redistribute your rooms at home is a great way to take advantage of all available space that you may not have realised you had. How can you get more space out of your rooms? At Sevilla GreenSuites, we’ve put together a guide of 5 simple organisation tricks that will help you clear out and organise your home. Ready to make a change?
General advice for taking advantage of space
- Keep your house organised: The recommendation is to tackle one different room each day, but in general, try to make sure the house itself is organised and clear of obstacles.
- Use mirrors: Placing mirrors on the walls offers a greater sense of spaciousness and light, especially in bathrooms, but this tip works for the rest of the house as well.
- Take advantage of the space under your bed: Use boxes to take advantage of all the extra space under your bed.
- Neutral colours: Ideally, the walls should be covered in soft neutral colours as it also helps to give a more spacious and lit feeling, which is great for small rooms.
The main objective is to make the most out of the available space you have at home and in that way, achieve a better sense of organisation, cleanliness and order to your rooms. The following is a list of 5 simple organisation tricks that will help you to know where to start in order to achieve a more cleared out space.
- Know what you need
Make sure to keep in mind the needs and wants of your family or of yourself, if you live alone, to adapt the distribution as necessary and make it as spacious and comfortable as possible. The best way to get positive results is to plan everything out before starting.
- Always prioritise natural light
Letting the sun in to get a good amount of natural light helps to enjoy more luminous and ventilated rooms. For that to be possible, make sure your move any objects or fabric, like curtains, that impede direct light from entering to another location if it is a piece of furniture or type of opaque fabric. You’ll see just how pleasant it can be at home!
- Distribute your furniture wisely
Want to take advantage of the entire room? You’re going to want to know this super trick! If your room is a rectangular shape, you should distribute the larger furniture in a line. Meanwhile, if it is square or irregular, the recommendation is to place your furniture in an L shape and if possible, take advantage of the round pieces of furniture like puff seats or tables to conceal corners.
- Review and remove to make more space
In the redistribution process, don’t forget one of the most convenient tasks in any process of change: getting rid of everything that you don’t use or don’t need to save. Is this like what Marie Kondo does? Yes, it is. Freeing up space is essential and really helps to have a more spacious home in general.
- Don’t forget corners
With book shelves, small benches, planters, coat racks…there are a lot of options, including decorative, to take advantage of those spaces that are placed in corners and usually ignored. Don’t forget the corners and make sure to put them to good use. You’ll notice just how well the centre of your room is cleaned out and organised.